Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! I have a feeling that this year will bring us exciting changes as well as lots of challenges! January marks the start of what looks to be lots of doctors visits. After finding out that the babies are identical the perinatologist wants to keep a very close eye on these little ones, so an appointment with ultrasound is scheduled for every other week from now until mid February. It will be nice to get to know "A, B, and C" well before we actually get to meet them.

This week marks the official start of the second trimester and holds the first of multiple preeclampsia screens, which will occur at least once each trimester. Also, Friday morning is the first glucose tolerance test. I am not looking forward to this test as the thought of drinking the orange yuck turns my stomach and I get to do this after fasting and then get to sit for 3 hours after the fact with nothing to get rid of that horrid flavor. Sounds like fun! I've already been loosely following the gestational diabetes diet because both my OB and the perinatologist have informed me of my impending "doom" i.e. a gestational diabetes diagnosis. I had GD while pregnant with Madelynn, so that combined with the current pregnancy being multiples I am almost certain to have it again, which is why they are testing so early.

After receiving the results of the test I will be meeting with a dietitian to discuss the GD diet for multiples and to help me improve calorie intake. I have not been able to gain any weight and have actually been losing weight, which in a singleton pregnancy is ok, but when carrying higher order multiples it is not ideal. Due to the possibility of preterm labor, doctors like to see mothers of multiples gain weight sooner and at a higher rate than they would otherwise see. I'm trying to remember to eat snacks throughout the day, but I've had absolutely no appetite and have been very nauseous. I'm praying that with the start of the second trimester that improves!

We have the official gender check/anatomy scan on February 10th, but I'm hoping we may find out if these little ones are boys or girls sooner! I really have no inclination as to what gender they may be so I am looking forward to the surprise!

On really cool thing about triplets... I've already felt them moving around and protesting when I squish them! It's really cool to be able to feel them already! I'm sure it is going to feel like a crazy party in there before too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment